Pages

Monday, July 26, 2010

Tractors Aren't Biased

As I gear up for the #agchat conference at the end of August (I have 3 sponsors so far!) I have been reading more and more into things that I've been finding.  I've read both sides of the argument that big seed companies should not help promote such events.  As a relative newcomer to this issue and to the conference itself, I think it's crucial to point out first that I may have missed something and that second, I could be wrong. I'm not perfect, but my opinions still count, right?
I do not believe big seed companies should sponsor the event I'm going to attend. I think they cater to a specific group of people, and not all farmers in general.  On the same note however, I do not believe little seed companies should be sponsors either.  Heck, I don't think companies who produce any sort of food item should be sponsors (although if they want to sponsor individuals, that is entirely different and I in no way can or will oppose that).
Now, this is an issue that could be discussed until everyone is blue in the face.  Instead of doing that, why not consider alternative options, ones everyone can agree upon.  Take tractors for instance.  They are not biased!  There are small tractors for small gardens, medium tractors for small farms, big tractors for big farms, and SUPER HUGE TRACTORS for the SUPER HUGE FARMS.  Why not invite tractor companies to sponsor this event? Get Massey-Ferguson, John Deere, maybe New Idea, Ford, International, and all of those other companies to take part.  In reality, they have just as much stake in the issue of farming in the United States as the seed companies, if not more! (Because let's face it, a bag of seeds is much less expensive than general repairs to a planter!)
If you disagree, that's fine. Throw seeds, hoes, rakes, shovels, small poultry animals, whatever... I need some of those things anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment